SNEAK PEEK PART 2: More Behind The Scenes Of I Think I Can

SNEAK PEEK PART 2: More Behind The Scenes Of I Think I Can

So you read a bit about the pre-production aspects of putting this show together in Sneak Peek Part 1. This video gives you a quick glimpse into a break during rehearsals- plus an insider’s look at some of the props used in the show.

Because this show is a “remount” (originally on stage 2007, and received a Dora Award for Outstanding New Musical) the choreography is 75% the same. I threw in some crazy syncopation, extra layers of rhythm and new steppin choreography in the other 25%.

We spent the first week of rehearsal just learning steps, because there’s about 2 thousand of them throughout the show…

…and by focusing on just choreography right away, that allowed the performers a better experience in week #2. They dived into character exploration and interacted with each other without having to think about tap dance steps.

It’s pretty tough to act and tap actually. Some days the cast was awesome! And other days…

…let’s just say it’s pretty tough. =)

The sounds of tap feet are the kids’ main method of communication. And their strict Teacher, Miss Miriam “Detention Squared” McColl (played by Melody Johnston) is the only actor to use real dialogue.

Pretty cool huh? Stay tuned for PART 3…

– Shawn Byfield

i Think i Can dance show - Toronto Ottawa
i Think i Can dance show - Toronto Ottawa

i Think i Can

Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People

April 4th – May 5th, 2011
Get TORONTO Info And Tickets

National Arts Centre

May 11th – 28th, 2011
Get OTTAWA Info And Tickets

Published by ShawnByfield

Shawn Byfield is a certified public speaker, expert dance coach and entrepreneur. A National authority in dance and veteran in entertainment, film and fashion. Byfield is a DORA AWARD winning choreographer, GEMINI AWARD nominee, and 2x BLACK CANADIANS AWARD nominee. Shawn Byfield loves to travel nationally as an inspiring mentor, adjudicator, public speaker and choreographer.

Share Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: