Jamaica Tips and Advice

Montego Bay. But you wouldn't wanna be here...

Montego Bay. But you wouldn't wanna be here...

So, my lady and I are off to Jamaica for a week. Montego Bay. This is actually my first time, and I’ve heard it’s pretty much paradise…

…but who wants to be in a perfect tropical sanctuary when you can be keepin’ it REAL on the slushy, icy streets of Toronto? C’mon, there’s nothing better than being splashed with toxic salt/mud/snow water by oncoming traffic. Right?

Any suggestions on how to spend my time? Maybe dance on the beach? I’m still debating if I’ll work online and check email etc, or lock my laptop in the safe and live offline for a week…

What do you suggest? Leave your comments below.

– Shawn Byfield

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Jamaica Tips and Advice

1. Lexie says:

Hey Shawn…hit Jimmy Buffets Margharitaville for sure…waterslide & all in a bar. And free shots if you’re daring enough! The locals usually have great streetdances (I hit one in an empty pool area that was wicked fun. You’ll have a blast…get to know the people and as long as you go off resort with someone from the resort you’re perfectly safe! You guys enjoy..loved it all 3 times I’ve been!!! πŸ™‚ Lex

2. Kay-Ann Ward says:

Shawn I was born in Jamaica, it is a beautiful place, I hope the both of you enjoy it. Any what hair are you talking about? sand blowing in your hair:::)

Eat plenty of food, more for me than yourself, I love food. Rest and come back to Toronto rejuvenated. Thats my advice just rest and enjoy, the Jamaican lifestyle.

Kay-Ann

3. Ayeesha says:

In the words of Sheryl Crow, soak up the sun, and as much as you can, with how cold Toronto is, you’ll miss the sun in Jamaica when you come back- so take advantage and more importantly- relax!!!

4. Melissa Medeiros says:

Hey Shawn!! I’ve never been but I was on my honeymoon not long ago in St Lucia and something cool was taking a boat tour and getting to see the whole island. Also, I believe that there is a place you can go to swim and dive over a huge waterfall. Look into that!! Enjoy and relax. I look foward to meeting with you soon =) Melissa Medeiros

5. Velrose says:

Hey Shawn,
    Check out the Jungle Night Club in Negril. You could put your dancing skills to work there. I know Jamaica is all about dancing and having fun but that’s one place to let loose and have the crowd enjoy you enjoying yourself . When your done there (sometime early in the morning) take a walk across the road through the hotels and onto the white sands. Facing the wide open sea you can either go left or right , either way you’ll be experiencing the loveliest sunrise, I would go right it’s a longer walk to the end of the sands and sooooo relaxing.
    Anyway not to be a blogger for Jamaica take care and HAVE FUN!!!!

6. Diana says:

As a woman who spends every other month in Jamaica… you do not need advice on what to do there… the free spirited locals will guide you along… the best advice is to go with the flow, leave all care at the airport and live it to the fullest!

Have a great vacation

Peace Di

7. Kendra says:

Have a great time Shawn!

I visited Jamaica when I was a little girl and we took a tour climbing up Dunns Falls. I have never forgot it. What an experience. I wish I could do it again. Take care and have fun!!

Sincerely,
    Kendra

8. Julie Fallis says:

Shawn & his Lady…

I will be disappointed if you even read this email. You are supposed to be vacationing; lock up the laptop and chill out…have a great time and we’ll all be here when you get back!

Enjoy each other and the company of laid back Jamaicans…

Kind Regards – Julie

9. Melissa Migliazza says:

Have fun you 2 and enjoy the sun!!! Jamaica is a fantastic place to be so soak in all you can while you can!! Take the tours and enjoy the island heat! Be safe and have a wonderful time!

10. Mina Jasarevic says:

I say no email, no phone, no digital distractions.
    It’s -30 here, and I imagine you and the lady are making the most of it.

Mina (the envious).

11. Josie says:

I agree with Mina. Lock up the laptop and enjoy the sun one week is not nearly enough to do all the wonderful things that Jamaica has to offer. Have a great time with your lady

12. Lee says:

Hey Shawn ,
    have fun …..u’ll miss the sun as soon as u leave so enjoy while it lasts………wear alot of sun block……..dont let the sun get in the way of fun ………i’ll miss u
    xoxo
    Lee

13. indu says:

hav loooooodsaaa fun n joiiiiiiii
    DANCE, PARDY DAY N NYT n ye 2 make urslf not 2 get tanned get sum sunscreen lotion(:p) HEHEHEHE
    KIDDIN DUDE NJOI UR HOLI DAE WID UR LADY
    :):)

14. Andrea says:

Hey Shawn!

Hope you’re livin it up, and most definitely you gotta dance on the beach! Don’t know how well your tappers would handle the sand, tho. Talk about sand shuffle πŸ˜‰

I didn’t know how to get in touch with you directly on your website, but had to ask a question… I showed up in December and had done the online pay-as-you-go thing plus donating to the fund; unfortunately, I teach dance out-of-town on Saturdays and was wondering….. how to get some kind of receipt so if I come back a few weeks or months later, my online payment won’t be forgotten? Cause damn, I can’t wait to come back— those classes were ILL. πŸ™‚

Please send me a quick email when you’re back from vaca, and I hope you two have an absolute blast!! Enjoy Jamaica.

Thanks! -Andrea

15. Darlene says:

Shawn,
    I guess you already in Jamaica. I just got back so we must have been in Jamaica at the same time. It was wonderful, I hope you are enjoying it, as I am sure you are.

Share Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s